11/12/2006

Farewell Queen's Pier

Schedule of the day:
0900 to 1800 work
1900 to 2330 company event at Ocean Park
0030 to 0300 taking pictures pretentiously at the Ferry Pier

Work was okay and not too busy. After all it's Friday and we had an event after work. The Ocean Park outing was a lot of fun and I had a great time with my colleagues. But then obviously it was the hours spent at the Pier that made the day memorable.

Met up my two buddies Jur and Lo after midnight at the Pier. In the recent week people have gone crazy flocking there to take pictures, while the rickshaws and the newsstand guy turned superstars suddenly. I think this abrupt craze is also an implication of how fast we are going to pass over this Pier and Clock Tower, perhaps. There's nothing wrong but just very much of Hongkong style.

I need a decent camera and I didn't even bring a tripod. Anyway to me the pictures aren't as important as the last hours I was with the Pier, full of memories, but nonchalant.

My office is only steps away from the Pier but my personal connection with her was mostly before the 1997 handover. Deep down I always feel the Ferry Pier belongs the colonized days. Indeed I feel this demolishment is yet another move to get rid of the reminders of our past.

The Ferry Pier, the Queen's Pier and the City Hall are just not separable. They brought me back the memories when my classical music lover Dad brought us to concerts, when my family was on the way to the Peak for a Sunday outing, and the little space near the flagpoles was where we lined up waiting to get into the auditorium during Joint School Music Festivals.

However, weird enough, if you ask me what my impression on the Pier is all about, I would say it's the metal frames. It's not any great architecture, but I love its simplicity.

And the days when we buddies got together puking after many beers and having happy boat trips. Great that Jur took this picture...... it means something to me.

Byebye the Clock Tower.

1 comment:

Citizen L said...

this is my new blog
pls link

http://popscenehk.blogspot.com/